Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Wash Day- Eight months post and Loving It!


I can’t believe I made it this far; when I first decided to stretch my relaxer to six months I did not anticipate transitioning to natural.  However as the days and months went by I decided it was the next step in my journey to healthy hair.  I am currently eight months post and I love the look, the texture, the feel and also loving learning about my hair. 

Styling is still a work in progress for me because for many many years I wore my hair really straight, and even when I began texlaxing I went for the straight styles more often than not.  I currently have an average of five inches of natural hair so achieving a straight style is virtually impossible.




Anyway while I continue to learn here is how this week’s wash day went;

Prepoo and detangled with my oil mix; the oil mix consist of coconut, avocado and grapeseed oil. After detangling I put my hair into four sections and applied Cantu leave-in conditioning repair cream and covered with a plastic cap and my head tie for an hour and a half.

Shampoo- I wanted to really remove any build up I may have, so I shampooed with L’Oréal total repair 5 shampoo after removing the plastic cap.  As usual I only lathered once; even though this shampoo leaves my hair feeling a little dry I like it because it gives me the clean I want and it has ceramides. Therefore it is a win-win in my humble opinion.

Deep Condition- After rinsing out the shampoo I deep conditioned with Shea Moisture raw Shea butter Deep Treatment Masque and Jamaican Black Castor Oil, under my conditioning cap for thirty minutes. I then allowed the hair to cool before rinsing with warm water.  My hair did not feel super moisturizer so I followed up with a Shea Moisture 10 in 1 conditioner and left on for five minutes.  I rinsed out the conditioner with warm water and followed up with cool water to close the cuticles. I like the results of the extra shot of conditioning it left my hair feeling moisturized.




Leave-in and Moisturizer- After rinsing out the conditioner I wrapped my head in a t-shirt to remove the excess water.  Then I sprayed the hair with Crème of Nature strength and shine, detangled and left to air dry in five twists.  When the hair was above 80 percent air dry I applied Kinky curly knot today to each section and blow dry on cool.  I then divided each section into smaller sections trim the uneven ends and applied Cantu coconut curling cream and install 18 flexi rod for a flexi rod set.


I am quite surprised how well my transitioning is going; I was prepared for the tangles and trouble combining textures.  However, so far my biggest challenge to date is maintaining my curls but I’m learning and will continue to adapt.

Did you transition if so how did you find the experience? How was your #washdayexperience?


The #WashDayExperience Badge

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are at 8 months! You're doing so good with the transitioning process. I wish I had transitioned for a longer period of time, but experiencing the TWA was good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it myself now I'm on the count to a year. I don't think I have the mental capacity to deal with a TWA but I'm guess it is much easier to style.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on making it to 8 months chica! I'm so proud of you! I think that it's awesome that you conditioned again after the Deep Treatment Masque didn't give you the results that you wanted! Kudos! That conditioner worked wonders on my cousin's hair but was TERRIBLE in my hair. SMH.

    Anywhos, thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KLP, the #washdaywxperience is an awesome community and it is where I come for me pep talk with my Diva friends. I'm not sure what I'll do with the masque going forward but I may use it as a prepoo.

      Delete