Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wash Day- Transitioning Trials

This transitioning journey is not for the faint of heart, it is for people with tenacity.  Last week was my first foray into dealing with and styling my almost six months post new growth on top of my texlaxed hair.  I am very happy that I spent the last two years stretching my relaxer and texlaxing my hair because it has given me the tools for this arduous journey.  I won’t be attempting any braids outs, twist outs or flat twist anytime soon, because I don’t have the skill and I refuse the go to work looking like a crazy person.



After a week of trial and error here is how this week’s wash day went:

Prepoo and Detangled- Detangled in small sections using my oil mix. This oil mix contains coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil and jojoba oil.  After I detangled each section I coated it with OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy conditioner; when my whole head was finished I put on a plastic cap and my conditioning cap. I felt that my hair need a little protein and this conditioner has the right balance for me. I left the conditioning cap on for thirty minutes before removing it and allowing my hair to cool.

Shampoo- Once my hair was cool; I hopped into the shower to rinse out the prepoo treatment and shampoo.  I shampooed in two sections using my all-time favorite Crème of Nature Sunflower and Coconut conditioning and detangling shampoo.  I know most of us don’t shampoo our hair frequently but if you need to like me, this is a very good shampoo and relatively inexpensive.

Deep condition- To get rid of the excess water I wrapped my head in a t-shirt for about five minutes.  Then I applied my deep condition mixture of Crecepelo conditioner and Jamaican Black Castor oil very liberally.  I did this because my hair was feeling a bit hard after the protein prepoo section.  I then put on a plastic cap and sat under my bonnet dryer for twenty minutes.  My intention was to let me hair cool for another twenty minutes but I end up on the phone with my cousin who lives in London for almost an hour.  I love catching up with her; but it always makes me smile when the American, British and Jamaican accents comes to play. 


Leave-in and Moisturizer- I then hopping back in the shower to rinse out the conditioner and then wrapped my hair with a t-shirt to dry.  I let it dry for roughly fifteen minutes before applying Kinky Kurly Knot today leave-in detangling and OGX Coconut milk anti-breakage serum to small sections.  Do you ever look at your wet hair and have that feeling of OMG how do I fix this ish?  Well, I was in that place and it is a scary place.

Styling- Enough of my drama, after taking deep breaths I decided to blow dry so I can have a smooth starting point.  Therefore I blow dry each section (about six) on warm, then moisturized with Cantu Hair Lotion and put in close to thirty flexi rods and went to bed.  Let me tell you after the blow dry I was in a better place. 

I love the fullness of my hair and how soft and fluffy it is, I’m just a little disappointed that I haven’t seen any curl pattern.  To say it is a surprising would be a lie; the one problem I had with my new growth back in the days was that it doesn’t lay flat and would just poof up.  I have since embraced it and Curly-Sue is here to play and stay.


How was your #washdayexperience? What tips do you have for a transitioning girl?
The #WashDayExperience Badge

5 comments:

  1. Hi baby doll,
    If your roots poofs up it is because you used too much protein. Your relaxed hair may love protein, but your natural hair does not. Hydrated hair curls up, while protein sensitive hair poofs up. I had to learn the hard way, but I am glad I did. Next time you do a protein treatment, try to focus more on the relaxed part.
    Much luv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline.. that may be the case so I'll give that technique a try.

      Delete
  2. My wash day went well. It just took a while. How often do you use protein? Have you tried perm rods? They take a bit of time to put in but you can get really nice curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do a protein treatment often, maybe once every three or four months. I am a pro at perm rods and I rotate between it and the flexi rods. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. It will take a while before you see true curl definition. (At least, it did for me!) Give your hair some time!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete