Thursday, September 24, 2015

Wash Day- moisturizing my box braids

Having box braids has it pros and cons or blessing and curse , whichever way you choose to view it.  For me the pros (blessings) outweighs the cons (curse). I am loving having these braids in and will share some of my pros and cons along with how I keep them moisturized.

The Pros-

  • Easily maintained- This such a low maintenance style that I have to be on my a game when it comes to keeping it moisturized.
  • Easily styled- I do not need to brush, comb, detangle or curl it in any shape of for. All I need are a few pins, a srunchie and I have the perfect hairstyle all the time.

The Cons-
  • It is heavy- Box braids tends to be much heavier than a weave or even crochet braids.  it took me at least a week to get us to the weight.
  • The itching- OMG the first few days I thought that I had head lice, yes the itching was that bad. To combat it I added a few drops of peppermint to water and sprayed my scalp to help relieve the itching.

How I keep them moisturized

On a nightly basis I moisturize using my moisturizing mix. I first spray my scalp them the entire length of my hair with the mix before pinning it up and putting on my scarf.  Because the mix is in a spray bottle it is quite easy to apply and I feel that my hair is being moisturized. 

The mix- 
1 tbs Coconut oil
1 tbs Grapeseed oil
2 tbs Castor oil
a few drops of peppermint oil
roughly 4 or 5  Ettenio Creme de la Creme daily moisturizer
enough Water ( I not measure the water, but it was enough to thin out the mix and make it easy to spray a fine mist)

























I feel this a good combination and I believe that my hair really being moisturized.


How do you keep your box braids moisturized? What tips can you give me?

The #WashDayExperience Badge

5 comments:

  1. Your spray bottle ingredients sound nourishing. I like that it's beneficial to both hair and scalp, so you don't have to moisturize each separately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spray bottle ingredients sound nourishing. I like that it's beneficial to both hair and scalp, so you don't have to moisturize each separately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mix definitely sounds like a winner! I think that it would be perfect for any protective style!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KLP it is certainly a winner and I do believe it can work any protective style.

      Delete