Thursday, September 17, 2015

Wash Day- How I prep my hair for box braids

My current plan is to do a twenty four weeks stretch, but at twelve weeks post I had to find a way to help talk my mind off that I'm only halfway through.  I have not done box braids in over ten years and was very hesitant to even try it because they take so long to install.  However, after much internal debate I made the decision to do them.

I went to a Senegalese shop that came with rave reviews and was very happy with not only the result but also the process. She was very knowledgeable and mindful of my edges and even made recommendations on how to grow out my widows peak. All in all I was able to sleep that night and the braids around my edges weren't tight or pulling, which is a win win.

Anyway before I went to see my new BFF for the box braids I did my wash day.  Here is a recap;


Prepoo- Did an overnight hot oil treatment with my oil mix. The mix contains Coconut oil, Avocado Oil and grapeseed oil.  This was not meant to be an overnight treatment but I fell asleep and it was way too late when I woke up.

Shampoo- with Creme of Nature Sunflower and Coconut detangling conditioning shampoo. I am certain I heard my hair shout hallelujah because it was burden with two weeks worth of junk from Bantu knots, flexi rod and perm rod set. I only lather once even though I was tempted to do so.

Deep Condition- After rinsing out the shampoo I t-shirt dry to get the excess water out then deep conditioned with Shea Moisture Jamaican Black castor Oil Masque under my conditioning cap for 30 minutes, then allowed my hair to cool for another 15 minutes.  Once my hair was cool I rinsed with warm water to ensure all the conditioner was gone, then followed up with a cool rinse to close the cuticles.

Leave-in and Moisturizer- After rinsing out the conditioner I t-shirt dry until my hair was about 90 % dry, then applied Shea Moisture Black castor oil leave in conditioner and Ettenio free at last moisturizer and allowed to air dry. Once it was completely dry I apply OGX coconut milk serum and blow dry the roots to make it easier for the braid technician to handle since I'm twelves weeks post.

I had a very good experience with this braid technician, I just might get them installed again.























How was your #washdayexperience? Are you doing any protective style?


The #WashDayExperience Badge

11 comments:

  1. Wow, the little hairs left at your edges and nape really show how good the hair braided was. And your styles so far really suit your face. I say definitely do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loove your braids! They are very neat and all the same size. Yep you got a good braider, they are rare to find..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely was good and I have gotten so much compliments.

      Delete
  5. It is very important to take care of the hair before and while wearing the braids. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your braids are soooo pretty! I love them! I can't wait to read your braid wash days! How long do you want to leave them in?

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning on keeping them for four to six weeks......... so not looking forward to my wash day because these babies are waist length. (((shame face)))

      Delete