Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Hot Oil treatment

I have been doing a hot oil treatment since the beginning of my healthy hair journey, however I am always trying new combinations.  My favorite oil combination mix is a cocktail of moisturizing healthy goodness. I use this combination to detangle, mix with a conditioner for prepoo or my favorite a hot oil treatment.

What is in the mix;
Coconut Oil
Avocado Oil
Grapeseed Oil

Any of these oils is winner on its own, but for me they are Oscar worthy when combined.  The overall health of my scalp and hair has greatly improved with the usage of this combination.

Coconut Oil has a high moisture retaining capacity and does not break down easily when applied to the hair; allowing the hair to reap the benefits.  Coconut oil high level of fatty acid nourishes, strengthens, softens and leaves the hair shiny. Its antifungal and antibacterial properties helps to maintain the health of the scalp, therefore preventing dandruff.

Avocado oil is a good oil to moisturize dry, brittle and damaged hair.  It full of vitamins such as vitamin ABDE, it has amino acid and protein which are all great for conditioning, moisturizing and strengthening hair.

Grapeseed oil contains a high level of Omega 6 fatty acid (aka ceramide), the ceramide helps prevent against moisture loss.  Grapeseed oil is a very light oil so it is easily absorbed into the hair and helps to build strong healthy hair. I have had a few reaction to this oil but the benefit is worth the risk.

The blend


3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
drop of tea tree or peppermint oil if desired








How I used it 

To warm the mix I put it in a bowl of water for a few minutes.  I try not to get the oil too hot because (1) I don't want to burn myself and (2) I want the oils to maintain there yummy properties.

I normally put my hair in sections before applying the warm oil from the scalp to the ends of the hair.  After my entire hair is coated I would put on a plastic cap and let it it for 10 to 30 minutes either with or without heat.

I would then follow up my the rest of my wash day.

What are your favorite oils for a hot oil treatment?



2 comments:

  1. Avocado oil was not a win for me. It made my hair look fried when I used it. I still haven't tried the grapeseed oil. I need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nerline, funny story I bought the avocado oil because you mentioned it in a wash day post and I wanted to give it a try. I am so sorry your hair did not like it.

      Delete