Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Egg, Honey & Coconut Oil Treatment

I have been toying with the idea of making my own protein treatment for awhile but since my sister is the scientist in the family I have pushed the idea to the side.  Well, after much debate and research I decided to give it ago.

Since I have being battle moisture maintenance issue I figure I should incorporate ingredients that will give me the ideal protein and moisture balance.  The ingredients I choose were egg, honey and coconut oil.



Benefits of Egg

The main component in egg is protein.  Protein helps to strengthen the follicle and cuticle of the hair.  Applying raw egg to hair will smooth the cuticles and strengthen the hair, therefore reducing breakage and split ends.

Benefits of Honey

Honey is an emollient, meaning it is a natural softener. Honey is also an humectant, which simply means it helps to preserve the moisture balance. It is also an antioxidant, an antibacterial and a antiseptic all of which helps to stimulate and restore health to the scalp.

Benefits of Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is a penetrating oil, simply put it penetrates the cortex of the hair. Coconut oil promotes scalp health and will moisturize  and soften dry hair plus add shine. It is said to prevent breakage, hair loss, split ends and contributes to longer healthy hair.

Recipe
1 egg
2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon Coconut oil
Can be adjusted based on the length of your hair.




In a bowl mix all the ingredient together until properly incorporated. Then slowly and thoroughly apply the mixture to the hair from root to tip.  Let the mixture set for 15-20 minutes ideally under a plastic cap before rinsing with cool or cold water.  You can then continue the rest of your normal wash day routine.

I have used this a prepoo but I think you can add conditioner to it and use it as a deep conditioner.  As a side note don't use warm water because it will cook the egg and leave pieces in the hair.





2 comments:

  1. My hair doesn't like eggs, but I love doing honey and olive oil treatment! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline! My hair is not a great fan of olive oil.

      Delete