Saturday, January 31, 2015

Biometric Screenings

I was watching the finale of the Biggest Loser and a extremely happy for the contestants and the amount of weight they were able to lose.  However, two of the package got my attention  one contestant had a 50+ percent body fat and the other was 26 with aliments of a 70 or older person.  It got me thinking about what the numbers tell us about out health and life expectancy.

After digging around a bit, i found out that companies where using Biometric screening to offer wellness incentives.  Which lead to wonder about all the blood, test  and measurement my doctors takes when I go in for my annual physical. To my surprise when we go in for our annual they are actually doing a Biometric screening.

What is a Biometric Screening?


A Biometric Screening is an health examination that indicates your risk for certain medical condition and diseases.  It brings to the forefront the take actions needed to improve ones health.

How is the Biometric screening conducted?


The screening uses height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, glucose, abdominal girth, triglyceride level and blood sample to assess and evaluate your risk factors.
taking blood preasure
Sourced

How can getting a screening improve your awareness?

This screening can help to identify current and potential medical issues.  Risk factors for metabolic syndromes such diabetes and heart conditions can be found in the early stages. Biometric screenings can help to identify and prevent health risk due to unhealthy lifestyle behaviors.  For some people this screening can have a huge impact on their health, lifestyle and well being.  It will make them more aware and apt to change their behaviors and lifestyle.

The person who is pre-diabetic or borderline hypertensive will in most cases seek to change their habits.  There is section of the population who will use this result to not only change their lifestyle but also their entire community.





When was the last time you had a wellness examination? If you should have one today will the results be a cause to celebrate or will it be a call to action?

Each day we get to make healthy choices whether it be food, alcohol or fitness; do you make choices that will improve your general health?  

If you are not currently do so, today is a good day to start.


Sourced

6 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSSS! To all of this! Especially abdominal girth - its one of the lesser known huge risk factors for diabetes. I'm glad you are concentrating on overall health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. high blood pressure runs on both side of my family and at 35 I was on medication for high blood pressure, so overall healthy is key to staying healthy and of meds.

      Delete
    2. high blood pressure runs on both side of my family and at 35 I was on medication for high blood pressure, so overall healthy is key to staying healthy and of meds.

      Delete
  2. My company pays for us to get them annually and depending on our factors we get up to $1000 off our medical benefit premiums. I always have good factors especially my cholesterol. I feel this year will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! doing the happy dance for you. I wish my company would do something similar.

      Delete
    2. yeah! doing the happy dance for you. I wish my company would do something similar.

      Delete