Friday, December 19, 2014

Six Ways to beat the Flu and stay healthy

The flu and cold season is upon us; and with a 8 years old the possibility of him getting a cold or the flu is almost a sure thing.  The one thing that parents with small children know is that you will in turn suffer the same faith as them.. So it had me thinking how can I boost both our immune systems so it can fight the good fight.

Fighting the flu or even the cold is not for the faint of heart, so I am willing to add these six tools to my arsenal this cold and flu season.
1- Probiotics 2- Lemon water 3- Green smoothie 4-multivitamins 5- vaccine 6- rest

Probiotics- Are live microorganism which when taken in adequate amounts can benefit overall health.  Our digestive system has good and bad bacteria so maintaining a good balance is necessary for overall health.  It is no wonder we are seeing probiotics in foods, drinks and vitamins.

Probiotics works in two ways first it helps to maintain the equilibrium in our guts by flushing out the excess that can damage it and it also takes nutrients and distributes them to the cells when needed. Secondly, probiotics have a very huge impact on our immune systems and it is arguable the most important role of probiotics.

I enjoy the Kefir brand of products and also Activia by Dannon but any yogurt is a good source because they have active cultures.

Lemon water-  Water in of it self is great for the immune system but paired with the immune boosting effects of water is a home run.  Lemon has a antibacterial property that helps to fight infections such as sore throat,throat infections and even tonsillitis, It helps in reducing the amount of phlegm in the body, and it also helps to reduce the amount of toxins in the body. It is also shown to help with increased perspiration.  So when you start feeling that scratchy feeling in your throat reach for a lemon.


Green Smoothie-  An antioxidant rich smoothie can help in the fight of the cold and flu virus.  Lemon, ginger, kale, celery , carrots beets and spinach are all excellent source of antioxidants. Smoothie is a big part of my household and the greener the better. These are two of my son's favorite smoothies; I normally do not measure because I make a 2 quarter pitcher that last about three days.

Carrot and Beets
4 carrots (medium to large)
2 beets
the juice from 1 lemon
the juice from 1 1/2 inch of ginger root
2 apple (I typical use gala or honeycrisp)

I use the juicer for this recipe


Kale and Spinach
2 cups spinach
2 cups kale
2 apple ( I juice them in the juicer)
juice of 1 lemon

I put all the ingredients (including the apple juice) in the blender and blend.








Multiviatmins- It is necessary to take a multivitamin on a daily basis to supplement the vitamin that we are not getting from foods.

Vaccine- The CDC recommends that children and the elderly get the flu shot each year. They also recommend it for people with immune deficiencies.  The flu vaccine introduces small dose of the virus to your system so that your body can develop antibodies which in-turn develops immunity.

Rest-  Rest is very important to maintain a healthy body.  While exercise is very important you should ensure you are getting enough rest especially if you are fight the flu or a cold.  I am not saying for you to lie on the couch for days upon days when you have the flu or a cold but just don't over do it.


How do you plan on staying healthy this cold and flu season?


#FitnessFriday on @SavingOurStrand





5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The carrots and beet juice is also my son's favorite.

      Delete
  2. Your right about the flu is not for the faint of heart. I had caught the flu in November and trust me it was not pretty....I certainly have to take more precautions next year because the is my third time in a row catching the flu in Nov/Dec. Great tips tho!

    hairlengthreality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad you are over it; I haven't had the flu in eight years (fingers cross).

      Delete
  3. I wash my hands frequently to keep them bug and flu free.

    ReplyDelete