Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hair Musings- What I learned 2014

I started my hair journey before I officially started it.  What does that mean you ask; well for an entire year beginning in summer of 2012, I wore wigs and did not relaxed my hair. Yep I did but I did not care for my hair so all the growth and achievement I should have seen was not there.  But why did you do it you ask.  Well I had a bald spot and my hair was coming out in the shower as if they were refugees trying to escape a war.  One good thing (well a few) that came out of the experience was that I regrew hair where I had the bald  spot and that I have very loose curls and also very fine strands.  Even though I did not end up with shoulder length hair I gained valuable knowledge about my hair that has helped me on my hair journey.




                            
Hair Knowledge- Year 1 of HHJ
  1.     My hair does not like too much protein; I only use protein when I do a relaxer touch-up.  This is the only time my hair does not rebel.
  2.     I need to shampoo at least once per week so that my scalp does not get all itchy and antsy on me.
  3.    Deep conditioner is a must even on co-wash day
  4.     Even though Grapeseed oil works wonders on my hair, I cannot let it touch my skin or else it is rash city.
  5. My hair loves coconut oil and coconut milk. 
  6.  I have seen the mantra “with health comes length” and I thought I can do that. I find that focusing on taking care of you hair is more important than how much or how long it is.  I have not done a length check since the very beginning of this journey.
  7. Shopping for new products to try is just as exciting as shopping for shoes and clothes.
  8. I could style my hair without a blow dryer and curling iron. 


Noteworthy 2014

  • My first wash day post was on July 4th simply title Wash day. At this point I was already six months into my hair journey and was comfortable with my techniques but was scared about advertising it to the world.  
  • My first #washdayexperience linkup was simply titled wash day- one week post. I was super excited that someone other than my lovely sister was interested in reading about my experience.
  • My most viewed post of 2014 is Wash Day - "No Problem". The first wash day after a relaxer touch-up is always a drama free wash day.
  • My worst wash day in 2014 was Wash Day- a tangled mess, it took me over an hour to detangled hair that I did not properly detangled before doing Bantu Knots.
  • My favorite post of 2014 was Ettenio experience.  I love their products.





2014 was a great year of learning and growing for my hair and this blog. 

The #WashDayExperience

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on a successful start to your journey. It's definitely a learning experience! Here's to a successful journey in the year to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Thanks for the support it is truly a learning experience.

      Delete
  2. I see a Jamaican flag lol ;)
    But great progress and I hope you have a good hair journey for 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yep that's a Jamaican Flag. Thanks, wishing you all the best in 2015

      Delete
  3. You've come so far! Congratulations to you, doll! I know you have worked hard to get there. My hair is protein sensitive too, but coconut oil is okay if I mix it up with other products, or use it before shampooing my hair. By my hair becomes a hard and fried mess if I use coconut oil as a moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nerline, I don't use coconut oil as a moisturizer because it makes me want to eat my hair. I love coconut and coconut flavored foods. :)

      Delete