Friday, November 14, 2014

Pilates

 History of Pilates


Pilates was developed in early 20th century by Joseph Pilates.  Joseph Pilates originally named his method contrology because the movements are based on muscles control.  Eventually it became known as the Pilates method and later Pilates.  The Pilates method was originally based on six principles, concentration, control, center, flow, precision, and breathing.

Concentration on what you are doing all the time, to ensure you are doing the movements correctly. If you are concentration you are able to control the movements and therefore reap the benefits. Most of the Pilates movement is centered in the abdominal area which is referred to as the powerhouse.  Once you are able to center your movements you are able to strengthen the rest of your body as all movement flows outward.  A strong center provides a flowing movement that not only strengthens the core but also the extremities.  You need to practice precise movements in order to reap the benefits of  Pilates .  Breathing very important in Pilates; breathing oxygenates the blood this oxygenated blood is then carried around the body which in turns energized the body.  The common practice is to breathe out with the effort and inhale with the return or contraction.


What are the benefits of Pilates?

  • It is a mind body workout
  • It targets the core, which in turn leads to great abs and a strong back
  • Improves flexibility and develops lean muscles
  • It conditions the entire body by training several muscle groups at once.
  • It is gentle however it is also very challenging

What Pilates does not offer!

  • It is not  Cardio workout ( you will not sweat much, unless you sweat a lot)
  • It is not a substitute for strength training ( it will tone your body but it is not substitute for strength training)
  • It is not a major calorie burner ( in a one hour session I burn around 200 calories on a good day)

The Take Away


Pilates is a gentle form of exercise which when done properly can improve your overall mind body experience. Pilates will challenge even the most in shape person.  It will sculpt your body in a way that no other exercise will do (at least in my experience).  Pilates has something for everyone just give it a try.  If you decide to try Pilates remember the six principles, concentrate, center, control, flow, precision and breathing.  Give yourself at least five sessions before giving up, I promise you, you will love the results.

I have being doing Pilates for almost two months and I am loving the shape of my body; days after a session I am walking around as if I'm wearing a corset.  People who i have seem in a couple of  weeks stop me to tell how great I looking and that I have lost a lot of weight. The funny thing is that I haven't lost enough weight to create a stir.  

Have you done Pilates? What were your experiences? 



Fitness Friday



8 comments:

  1. I

    LOVE

    PILATES!!!!

    I got into Pilates last year to help tone up after my little guy was born. You're totally right---you won't sweat----you won't burn a ridiculous amount of calories---but it definitely slims your entire body!

    Thanks for joining the #fitnessFriday movement chica!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done Pilates and I liked it alot! I would do it at home on the mat, not using that fandangle equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gym offers the mat version and I like it much better than all those "fandangle equipment"

      Delete
  3. Never done Pilates before but it looks interesting! I am definitely willing to give it a go! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lydz...... you can find great videos on YouTube videos if you want to try it out at home.

      Delete
  4. I use to do pilates with my mom when I was younger! haha pilates and tae bo back in the day lol I just do cardio and strength nowadays. Have you ever thought about doing crossfit?

    Bree
    www.quirkybrownlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I loved tae bo. I have looked into crossfit but mentally am not there yet. It seems really hard and I'm a chicken.

      Delete